Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Stand UP

I've recently switched to a stand up desk. That's right! No more sitting for this guy. I believe this is going to be a more common phenomenon.

When you sit all day--and most do sit for the typical 9-to-5'er--you eventually slouch, bent over at your desk working hard.

This hunchback posture can eventually get stuck in place. No, it's not the same as your mom always saying if you cross your eyes they'll stay that way.

Soft tissue actually "creeps" as you sit in a fixed position for an extended period of time. Over time you can develop a kyphotic curve in your spine resembling quasimoto:



A stand up desk gives you the freedom to stay in a upright posture. Personally, this has drastically improved my attention and efficiency when I work on projects.

I'm still new to this, but I can say the only drawback is getting used to the standing duration--think arriving late to Christmas Eve Mass and standing in the back.

Well, I suppose it looks like I'm standing at a urinal too when people walk into my room too. This past week I have noticed the standing became less of a problem. Right now I've got the white trash stand up desk--a normal desk on propped up on blocks. Soon I may purchase a real one.

Do your posture a favor and remember whatever you do in the gym for an hour, you have 23 hours to mess it up. Make those 23 help you instead of limit you.

Do work.

--
Ryan
e:ryan.patrick@yahoo.com

No comments: